Senior Platforms Engineer
Location: London /Hybrid
Reporting to: Platforms Engineering Manager
The Platforms team plays a pivotal role in delivering the tools and application platforms that support all Rightmove product engineering teams. As part of the wider Product Development team, we recognise that to deliver the best products and features for our consumers and customers we need to work effectively as a healthy, high performing team.
The Senior Platforms Engineer role covers everything from how we build and test code; how, when and where it is deployed; and how it is monitored in production environments. You will be part of a growing, self-motivated team and can expect to be part of some key projects:
- Driving the adoption and expansion of our Rightmove Cloud platform hosted on GCP.
- Defining Kubernetes architecture for container orchestration and implementing through infrastructure as code.
- Evolving our build tools to support a best-in-class development process that enables engineering teams to deliver our products reliably and fast.
If you believe you have what it takes to helps us overcome these challenges and want to apply your knowledge working for one of the UK’s most popular websites, we’d love to hear from you.
A typical week as a Senior Platforms Engineer might involve:
- Working collaboratively to drive the strategy for the above key projects.
- Sharing design ideas within the Platforms team, leading individual projects and mentoring team members.
- Refining and implementing improvements to our GCP distributed application platform, supporting 100+ microservices, and associated messaging and datastore services.
- Working with logging pipelines capable of processing large amounts of data generated through the usage of our website and applications, in order to fully observe and support the production environment.
- Engaging with engineers to understand pain points or diagnose issues in production or development environments.
- Building tooling to automate tedious tasks that improve engineering productivity.
- Improving the speed and safety of the deployment systems or optimising specific project build times.
- Researching new technologies and best practices and sharing with the wider engineering community.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Can take a lead role in driving large scale application platform projects.
- Has strong problem-solving skills and takes the initiative when they spot an opportunity for improvement.
- Loves to automate and streamline anything and everything.
- Enjoys sharing their ideas with others and can clearly communicate complex technical concepts.
- Asks questions and uses the experience of those around them.
We are specifically looking for the following technology background:
- Experience of building out Kubernetes based application platforms in a cloud environment, GCP or AWS.
- Comprehensive understanding of container and orchestration solutions.
- Working experience of Infrastructure as Code technologies, specifically Terraform
- Experience of automation pipelines and build orchestrators: we currently use GitLab, Gradle and NPM.
- Has a programming mindset so can work alongside and contribute to our software engineering community.
- Continuous delivery experience in an agile environment.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to work across a variety of other technologies including Kafka, Elasticsearch, Logstash, Oracle, Couchbase and Kong, so any previous experience is welcome.