Location: London Team: Product Development
We currently have an opportunity as a Quality Assurance Engineer working within one of our web delivery teams, developing account related products for end-users of rightmove.co.uk that help make finding your happy that little bit easier and personal, serving roughly 4 million unique users a day. The team works with several client and server-side applications built using Springboot and React micro-services as well as legacy monolith applications. They are written primarily in Java utilising Oracle DB, Elastic Search, Kafka and Couchbase.
As the Quality Assurance Engineer within the team you will take ownership of driving a quality focused approach at all levels, encouraging this with your peers in the wider business. You will take a key position using your analytical skills, excellent attention to detail and ability to empathise with the end user to deliver excellent quality software. Alongside the team’s designer and product owner, you will collaborate closely with developers to ensure that quality practices are adhered to and that quality is built into all levels of the software produced. You will also proactively seek out ways to make the team’s quality assurance processes more efficient and reliable.
A typical week as a QA might involve:
- Taking an active role in agile ceremonies such as refinement, kick-offs and retrospectives.
- Collaborating with the team to complete work within the allocated time.
- Encouraging and taking part in quality practices within the team, for example story kick offs and sign offs.
- Continually seeking to understand more about the end-user and develop a variety of use cases.
- Gaining a solid technical understanding of the applications to apply a risk-based approach to your testing.
- Analysing at what level testing should be completed to ensure the best quality product.
- Defining and capturing a range of test cases that best cover the requirements of each ticket.
- Involvement in the full product lifecycle (for example discovery, user research/labs, prototyping, etc.)
- Collaborating with the wider Quality Assurance team to execute manual and automated regression of a variety of cross-team applications.
- Performing exploratory testing across the application to discuss edge cases and to refine the experience.
- Managing the team’s bug backlog by liaising with stakeholders and triaging to ensure priority and scheduling is set accordingly.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has an enthusiasm for software quality assurance and delivering an excellent experience to the end user
- Can demonstrate an understanding of web-based software and the variety of platforms involved.
- Has solid experience of the testing lifecycle within a fast-paced agile environment.
- Happy to ask questions and get a thorough understanding.
- Ensures excellent time management and proper prioritisation of tasks.
- Can communicate well at various technical levels to ensure complex issues can be clearly understood.
- Loves to investigate and get to the root of a defect, utilising skills by querying a variety of data sources (Oracle DB, Elastic Search, application log files etc.)
- Takes a strong sense of ownership and responsibility for their and their team’s work
- Prides themselves on collaboratively delivering excellent quality software by working together to resolve any defects raised.
- Can empathise with the range of end-users and see different scenarios from a variety of view-points.
- Seeks to identify and make improvements within the organisation.
- Has a strong desire to consistently improve themselves by expanding upon existing, and learning new skills.
We would love someone to have any of the following:
- Quality Assurance / Testing experience in software, ideally web based applications.
- Experience working in an agile environment with short release cycles.
- Exposure to defect management and lifecycle.
- Experience working within a microservice architecture.
- Exposure to API testing tools such as Postman.
- Experience with Elastic Search or similar data stores.
- ISEB/ISTQB Foundation in Software Testing or similar
Ultimately, we care much more about the person you are, how you think and approach things, than a list of qualifications and buzzwords on a CV. Even if you can’t say ‘yes’ to all the above, but are self-motivated and passionate about delivering a great Customer Experience then get in touch.
We are on a mission to ‘help people make the right move’, we launched in 2000 with a will to make home-hunting happy, by showing all property in just one place. To join us in our mission, we look to recruit people who share the same values and beliefs as we’ve always had, because Rightmove is people. We call it the secret to our success and why staying 10 years or longer is simply the Rightmove way.
We encourage and support all Rightmovers to continuously develop themselves. Together we work towards the best outcome, both in terms of our technical solutions and continued business growth. We are always on the lookout for the great new people to join our team. If you are a smart and passionate initiative-taker then get in touch. You could be part of the next chapter of the Rightmove story!
We believe that ensuring diversity of background and experience will lead to a more fun and inclusive workplace and the creation of better products for our users. We are an equal opportunities employer, come and help us make home moving easier.
Did you know?
- Rightmove was meant to be called 'Doorknob.' But it didn't quite have the same ring to it
- We still have employee #1 working at Rightmove
- Last year we had (on average) 1.5 billion-page views a month
- Our speedy customer experience support team answer our customers calls every 6 seconds